Find, Map, and Gather Environmental Data and Metadata
A tool for locating, mapping, and gathering environmental data and metadata, worldwide. Users can search for and filter metadata from > 157,000 environmental monitoring stations among 219 countries/territories and >20 networks/organizations via elevation, location, active dates, elements measured (e.g., temperature, precipitation), country, network, and/or known identifier. Future updates to the package will allow the user to obtain datasets from stations within the database.
News for Package 'metScanR'
2017-01-18 metScanR v0.0.1 (initial release)
- Database included with package source.
- Database contains ~13,000 environmental monitoring stations among 11 different networks located within the U.S. and parts of Canada
- Functions include
2017-05-18 metScanR v1.0.0 (major release)
- Database removed from package source and stored on Github at https://github.com/cflagg/metScanR/raw/master/data/. Most recent version of database is automatically accessed whenever 'metScanR' package is loaded to R environment.
- Database updated to include ~107,000 environmental monitoring stations among 18 different networks, worldwide
siteFinder into wrapper function to call newly added functions:
- Created terms database using n-gram approach to merge similar terms and elements used among various networks in database. This database is used on the backend when searching for measured variables
- Output from functions is now in list format. Initial release output in data.frame format. Changed to list format for space efficiency.
- Removed 'minimum radius' requirement when searching for nearby stations
- Depracated 'NEON.site', 'Lat', and 'Lon' parameters and replaced with 'siteID', 'lat' and 'lon'. Functions and parameters in this package will follow a camelCase naming struncture
.onAttach functions to access, download, save, and load the updated metScanR database to local environment.
- Added Robert Lee as co-author
2017-11-01 metScanR v1.1.0 (minor release)
- Removed obsolete dependencies - CRAN NOTE post Major Release v1.0.0
- Replaced numerous
NULL initializations with
missing() within functions
- North American Deposition Program (NADP) network added to database; site- and element-level metadata added
- Ameriflux network added to database; site-level metadata only
toupper() function added to
getNetwork() functions to account for Ameriflux, AMon, AirMon, and AMNet networks
- more robust logic added to
getVars() function to remedy disconnect between traceability and master terms databases
- added new function,
getStation() that returns metadata for user entered site(s)
- Moved NRCS to getNetwork() function and moved all NRCS sub-networks, e.g., SCAN, SNOTEL, etc., to
getID() function. This better fits the framework of umbrella organizations (network) and individual sub-networks, such as SCAN.
- USGS and BOR stations have been detached from NRCS umbrella and are now independent networks
2017-11-06 metScanR v1.1.1 (Bug fix)
- Fixed bug in
mapSiteFinder(). Passing metadata with only 1 idType, e.g., "Ameriflux", caused error when calling function within
- Implemented tests for
.onAttach files to auto-download external database each time upon startup.
- Fixed bug in
getDates(). There was an error in the paste0 portion of the Error message.
2018-03-19 metScanR v1.2.0 (minor release)
- The metScanR package now comes with a small database, one that comprises ~5,300 environmental monitoring stations. The full database contains >100,000 stations and can be downloaded via the
updateDatabase() function. Running this function will update the local version of the database with the most up-to-date database stored at https://github.com/jaroberti/metScanR.
getTerritory() function. This function returns metadata for stations within a territory or US state.
- Added logic to check for internet connection and updates to external database. If user is already running the most current version of database locally the R package will not download database. If the user is running an outdated version, R will ping the external database and download it locally.
- Added new parameters: startVarsDate and endVarsDate to
getVars() function. see
?getVars for more information
- Added new parameter: limit to
mapSiteFinder which users can adjust if they wish to plot thousands of environmental stations. This was previously capped at 10,000 stations
- Bug fix for
siteFinder() code when internally calling any metScanR function allowing multiple inputs, e.g.,
- Deprecated elevThresh in
getElevation() and replaced with elevMin and elevMax