Tools for Accessing the Botanical Information and Ecology
Provides Tools for Accessing the Botanical Information and Ecology Network Database. The BIEN database contains cleaned and standardized botanical data including occurrence, trait, plot and taxonomic data (See < http://Bien.nceas.ucsb.edu/bien/> for more Information). This package provides functions that query the BIEN database by constructing and executing optimized SQL queries.
** Updated example directories to use file.path() to construct OS-independent paths
- Added ability to retrieve trait data citations through BIEN_metadata_citation.
- Added ability to exclude known introduced species
- Added option to return additional data pertaining to collection and identification
- Added ability to download readable citation information for trait data.
- Added a new vignette tutorial, "BIEN_tutorial", which walks users through some of the functions
- Functions that query by political name can now utilize shorthand codes from geonames.org
- Trait data was increased by nearly an order of magnitude
- We currently have nearly 1 million trait records (25 million if you include height and diameter data from plots)
- Trait units and names have been standardized
- Functions names containing "...shapefile" have been changed to "...spatialpolygons" to make the names more accurate
shapefile arguments have been renamed
spatialpolygons, again for increased accuracy
- Fixed issue with BIEN_occurrence_shapefile()
- Updated test structure to comply with standard practices
- Modified function documentation to use templates
- Added BIEN_stem_family
- Added BIEN_stem_genus
- Added BIEN_ranges_list
- Can now use BIEN_occurrences_records_per_species to get a count of records for specified species
- Added BIEN_metadata_citation
- Added testing via "testthat" package
- Made .BIEN_sql an internal function
- Updated BIEN_trait functions to use new agg_traits schema
- Added many more traits to the database.